Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Reflect This...

"This is not a reflection, please redo and resubmit."

This is the verbatim feedback I received on one of my required but not graded 'personal reflection' assignments this past semester.  I found this to be amusing because these assignments are sold as a way that the student has a "written conversation (with their instructor) about clinical nursing practice."

I took this description to mean that just about any topic was fair game as long as it related to my clinical practice and i related how it made me feel.  Nope.

I wrote a one page reflection regarding my feelings towards the reflective process as administered by the University of Manitoba Faculty of Nursing.  Basically, they regard the reflective process as a tool with which the instructor can better evaluate the student's growth.  So far, I don't disagree.  Then the syllabus goes on to say that successful completion of the course is only possible when a minimum of three reflective journals have been completed by the student.  

Hold it right there.  

I don't know if it's obvious to the readers of this blog, but other than venting once or twice a semester, my reflective juices aren't sloshing about in sufficient quantities to slam out three journals in two and a half months.  Also, my personality isn't the type that often has a lot to say about my own practice and I'm sure my ACTUAL reflection wouldn't exactly pass muster with the instructor. For example:

"I really shat the bed when trying to insert an IV into my obese 31 year-old patient.  I should get better at sticking needles into fat, puffy things.  Perhaps voodoo?"

or,

"I didn't give my patient's acetaminophen in the appropriate time because I did not see that someone had changed the administration schedule in the MAR (medication administration record). By golly, I will just do better at looking at the page."

Yeah, not exactly what they are looking for I think. 

So, I had a thought that I would reflect on the reflection process itself as it was the only thing giving me any sort of emotional reaction that I could talk about at length.  So I did.  I poured out my heart (honestly, I did, there were even tear stains on the keyboard!) and I wrote a true reflection of my feelings toward my professional practice.

So, what hope is there for someone in my position?  

None, as it turns out.  

"This is not a reflection." 

So, what did I do?

I resubmitted a regurgitated version of how I really didn't like how the doctor was speaking to my patient about the root cause of her hypertension (starts with a 'Mc' and ends with a 'DELICIOUS!!!') and how I should always stand up for my patient and advocate for their right to clog their own damn arteries and I don't care how many hard-luck fatties the doctor has already seen that day he still better be sweet and loving to my patient!!!  

I get the journal back the next week.

"Very well done."

*facepalm*

3 comments:

  1. Mc...DELICIOUS!!!

    I love your posts. Write more. You know, when you're not sticking needles into obese 31 year olds. Kay?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha...so true, so true. Love your posts Pete

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my. It can't be a reflection if it is about yourself because don't you know a reflection, if you see it, is of...wait a minute, let me check my mirror!
    Specific language is formed and interpreted by the academic world into whatever the faculty wishes to make of it.
    I love you.

    ReplyDelete