Sunday, April 4, 2010

Two-week(ish) Gut Check

Roughly two lunar cycles out from my last two final exams of the year and I've got to say, with all my life experience that I've accumulated thus far, I'm still pretty nervous for 1000-level exams.  This is not to say that all 1000-level courses are easy and things get progressively more challenging as you move up through 2000, 3000, and 4000-level courses, far from it.  Remember, this is Nursing...Nursing in the 21st century...Nursing in the 21st century where it seems to matter more if you mean well that if you know what 'well' is.  The Nursing program I have decided to undertake is filled with such useful credit hours like, "Nursing Leadership: Issues and Practices" and, "Health Promotion of Older Adults and Their Families." No, I foresee a large downturn in required skill when it comes to my program but, nevertheless, there exist courses that will challenge my ability to deliver whatever it is the professor is looking for. 

My present concern, Physiology, for instance, is apparently to be taken with the understanding that you will quickly and easily form a working knowledge of the body, its major systems, and their interrelationships within three and a half months.  Being that over 110 people out of a class of roughly 275 failed the midterm, I would guess it isn't a task to be taken lightly.  Which is why I have cleared my already-barren schedule to ensure I have copious amounts of time to devote to memorizing and pantomiming the testable material.

On the other hand, Human Growth and Development (a Faculty of Nursing prerequisite) seems to run on the understanding that the lecture has very little to do with what is being tested in the exams and in the written assignments.  If you do go to class, you are treated to plethora (read: circle-jerk) of emotion-sharing and either "My mom/auntie/cousin/sister is a nurse and..." or "When I was in the hospital once..." story-telling that is sure to (read: did to me) make one's forehead sore. 

I find challenge in each of these situations and I'm not sure how things will turn out.  I have an idea of where my GPA needs to be to ensure I get into the faculty and doing any result less than very good in both these courses will not help my chances. 

Here's to merciful Physiology finals and relevant HG&D questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment